Monday, December 8, 2008

A musical number

So a couple of weeks ago I posted this entry about all the musical stuff that I have to do this month. Yesterday one of the items got checked off the list. I had complained about having to sing in a trio, a song that I had no input in? Well, that's what we sang yesterday. And after the meeting, I felt a bit bad about how I intially felt about it. Especially that I posted my feelings for everyone to see.

We sang in another ward's Relief Society meeting. It was all about Christ, and His birth. We sang at the end of the hour, and had to leave as soon as we finished, because my roommate and I had other meetings to get to. But it was mentioned at the beginning of the meeting that the ward (or maybe just the Relief Society) had dedicated their fast to praying for one sister to be able to get pregnant. Well, I'm aquainted with this sister, and had no idea that she had been having problems. And it seems that there might be other difficulties going on in her life that might or might not be tied to this. (I'm not telling who, because that's just not my business to share.) And then the entire lesson is about the birth of Christ, and how this little baby grew up to be our Savior. And the song we sang is called My Son, My King. All about Mary and her thoughts about her little baby and how He was to save the world.

This forced me to adjust my thinking. To realize that this sister has struggles that I couldn't see. That no matter how strained or stressed or sad she may be, she puts on a cheerful happy face. I think it might have been difficult for her to sit through this meeting, but she stayed, and cried a little (but so did several other people in the room), and participated.

I don't know if I really have a point to make. I've totally lost track of where I was going to go with this. But it's been on my mind all day long, so I thought I would share.

I guess one thing I could learn is to not resent when people ask me to share my talent. I really shouldn't complain when people want me to sing for them. Especially when I get to sing about the Savior. Oh, and to not complain in general. Too often I allow my bad mood to affect the way I treat others. I'm trying to be more aware of this. Well, I guess I need a reminder every so often that I need to be more aware of that. Oh, and to try to remember that everyone has their struggles, and don't let everybody know everything. So I need to not judge people on the outward appearance. Or judge them by their mood or the face they present for others to see. Ok, so I learned lots from yesterday's experience.

No comments: