Saturday, April 5, 2008

It’s the simple things in life that make me happy.

(Note: This post is an experience that took place on Monday, 31 March 2008.)

I’m on my lunch break and going for a little drive. It’s a beautiful day, with a nice breeze coming in through the windows of my car. I love letting my hair get tossed by the wind. It really can tangle up the ends, but it’s a glorious feeling.

I park my car and go for a bit of a walk. There’s not all that much traffic downtown at 12:30 in the afternoon. I cross the street and enjoy having the sidewalks to myself. This solitary walk is very rare. Usually this path is filled with people, all anxious to get into the same place, the building to my left. There isn’t much shade down this sidewalk, but the wind is still blowing, which makes this little lunchtime walk a very nice thing indeed.

I look up and see that the façade of the building doesn’t seem to have changed since the last time I saw it. It’s comforting to see it, to know that in just one week I’ll be going inside.

I reach the end of the building, and turn left to continue following it. I finally reach the window and make my request. The package is too big to fit in the small window opening, so I go to the lobby to meet the woman so she can hand it over. The woman hands me my package and tells me to enjoy it. I am very happy as I thank her for her help.

I turn around and retrace my steps to my car. I feel the contents through the wrapping, and my happiness increases. I’m so glad to have finally gotten this! I want to open it, but I decide to wait until I’m in the car.

As I walk back around the building, I catch glimpses of the interior through the windows. I wish I could go in, but I will in just a week. I am so looking forwards to that.

I get to my car, and open the package. I see the books and the other inserts in the package. I pull out the letter, and skim that. Oh! I have to get back to work, I can read this later.

The wind is still blowing, my hair still getting tossed around, and my package is on the passenger seat. I get back to the office, and pull out the contents. Oh, I don’t know how to say just how happy I am right now.

No comments: