Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Beethoven

I woke up this morning in a rather bad mood. There are reasons for the mood, but they're not really important at the moment. But contributing to the mood was the fact that I'm very overdue for a visit to the chiropractor. My hips have a tendancy to go out of place, and that rather messes everything else up. My lower back, my shoulders, and my neck are all tight and sore. My legs are affected also. Money has been tight, so I have just been dealing with it. (I'm going to go this afternoon and get all put back in place. That will feel so wonderful.)

Anyways, so in addition to mental turmoil, I don't physically feel well. Not a good combination for a good day. I know that I need music to help me through the day. I chose Beethoven to listen to first. On my little flash drive is a folder that contains Beethoven's 5th through 9th symphonies. Becasue of a quirk of naming within that folder, the 9th symphony always plays first. That is my most favorite piece of music. I don't have the words to describe the joy that the music brings to me. I don't know how to express how much it moves me and comforts me. Ok, so I just told you some of how I feel about it, but these words can't describe it adequately.

My favorite movement is the last one, the one that gives the symphony the moniker of "Choral". Maybe I'll give you the words later, but for now I'm feeling a little bit emotional about it. Suffice it to say, most of the words are from a poem by Friedrich Schiller called Ode to Joy. It's all about joy. Joy in life, joy in brotherhood, joy in knowing a loving God and Creator is looking down on us.

When I listen to that symphony, and the last movement in particular, it makes me happy. I have fond memories of performing it. The basic melody of it was one of the first little tunes I learned when I first started playing the flute. The music and the chorus and the wonderful majesty of it can always change my mood for the better. When I listened to it this afternoon, my mental turmoil eased and my physical pains didn't seem so bad.

When next you see me holding up my little warning sign that tells you I'm in a bad mood, just take me aside and tell me to go and listen to Beethoven.

No comments: