Thursday, December 25, 2008

Déjà vu all over again.

I had an interesting experience the other day. On Tuesday I decided to go to the temple out in Mesa after work. So I find myself driving along the 202, just a mile or two away from my exit at about 5:45 at night. (Traffic was awesomely light! I don’t usually get to that point that quickly on my drive.) And all of a sudden, I remembered being on that road, at that place, at that general time of day, on that very evening, the 23rd of December, exactly four years prior.

It’s not often that I can remember exactly what I was doing any given day of any given year. I usually write down on my calendar some key words of whatever makes a given day special or unique. Then when I read those entries, I can remember that day and what happened. But I needed no words to prompt me to recall that year and that occasion. Just the cloudy sky, lit by the setting sun. My destination that day was so completely different. My activities that evening and that Christmas were just about the polar opposite of this year. This year I spent an evening in the temple, and enjoyed my family on Christmas Eve. Today I’m going to be at my parents’ house, and spend a little more time with them.

There’s no need to go into what happened that Christmas four years ago. But I have been thinking about it, comparing what happened then and where I am now. I don’t know that I’d be who I am today without that Christmas. I’ve learned a lot about myself since then. I’ve learned more of what I want from myself and from my life. Maybe I didn’t need that year and that experience to have gotten to this point, but there it was.

I’ve learned about the Gospel, about forgiveness and repentance. I’ve learned great things about the Atonement and about my relationship with my Savior. I certainly don’t know what my life has in store for me, but I have gained a new acceptance of that not knowing.

I didn’t really intend to get all serious. I was just going to relate a funny moment which contrasted where I’ve been in my life so neatly. But today being Christmas Day, and a time of year to express a renewal of gratitude of Christ and His mission on this earth, and His role in our lives, my thoughts have turned to the lessons that I have learned, and my great gratitude for the effect that the Plan of Salvation has had on my life.

So I hope that all of you have a very Merry Christmas, and strive to always remember that great gift of love that was given to us all. When you exchange your gifts, and you spend time with those you love, make sure to treasure those moments, and express the love that you feel for those around you. Reach out to those that are not present, and make sure that they know that you also think of them. Remember our Father, and His Son, and their great love for you and for me.

EDIT: I realized while I was driving to my parents' house that the title of my post is a little too flippant for the tone that I ended up with. But that really is my style. I joke and I laugh, even at serious subjects or at serious or uncomfortable times. I may laugh and be silly, but inside I'm quite serious and sincere.

No comments: