Monday, March 9, 2009

Callings, music, and cookies

So I got a new calling yesterday at church. Chorister. It's not really going to be a difficult calling. After all, I have for years stood up in front of congregations and waved my arm to the music. I must admit though that the best part of this is that this ward has all of their topics for the speakers lined up already. For the entire year. I could select all the hymns for the year, submit them, and then all I'd have to do is show up on Sunday. I don't think I'll do that, but I could work a couple of months ahead.

I didn't really expect that I would have to work too hard in this calling. After all, I've dealt with the music in the branch for years. I figured that I'd come across most of the regular problems or duties of the calling. Then I was told (in the blessing that goes with the calling) that music has been part of my being even before this life, and that it can/will shape my future. Oh, and that somehow they'd like me to encourage those who don't sing to sing. Especially the Young Men. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to do that.

My girl scout cookies were delivered yesterday. I love the randomness of the internet, and finding out random connections between people. For example: I used to visit teach Ginny Potter. She married Colin Moses. Colin's mother had two couches to give away, and her mother announced that fact at church. My roommate then snagged one of the couches. (I love free furniture!) Ginny's sister Stephanie has a blog that I read regularly. Well, one of her daughters was selling girl scout cookies. As I love girl scout cookies, I ordered some. When the delivery of the cookies took place, Stephanie and her family walked into my apartment and recognized my couch. It seems that I now own their old couch. How fun is that?!
.

1 comment:

Lesley said...

Sounds like a good calling! it's always nice to have a calling that you don't feel overwhelmed by. I have a girl scout cookie story to post about later. Strange how those cookies can bring folks together!