Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Now for a musical moment.

This morning the words of a song came to me while I was getting ready for the day.

If we do what's right we have no need to fear,

The results of the election have caused some interesting reactions. A lot of fear and doubt are popping up all over the place.

For the Lord, our helper, will ever be near;

I for one am not worried. Sure there's a bit of concern, but that would be there no matter who won the presidency. No matter who took office, he would still have to prove himself by living up to the campaign promises and speeches. There is enormous pressure to make things better.

In the days of trial his Saints he will cheer,

In fact, I'm not even disappointed. Or angry. Or convinced that I have to leave the country. (That strikes me as a slight over-reaction. But that's just me.) In my mind, the most important thing was a few pieces of legislation that passed in the states that had it on the ballot. That was the most vital thing to be decided this election.

And prosper the cause of truth.

I know that not everyone will agree with me, and that's fine. I am not disparaging anyone's fears or worries. I know that there is still much to wonder and worry about. But I have always tried to worry as little as possible. Some might not agree with how I deal with this stuff (like by mostly ignoring it), but I do think about it. I just choose to not discuss it and I refuse to worry about something I can't change.

We will not retreat, though our numbers may be few
When compared with the opposite host in view;
But an unseen pow'r will aid me and you
In the glorious cause of truth.

I am a firm and adamant believer in that unseen power. Truth will prevail when that power is on our side. Despite the hate and the fear that has been tossed around the last few months as election day approached, the cause went forward, and was defended. I had worries about that, and I knew that I had to do my part. (In fact, that proposition was the only reason that I registered and voted in my first ever election.)

Fear not, courage, though the enemy deride;
We must be victorious, for the Lord is on our side.
We'll not fear the wicked nor give heed to what they say,
But the Lord, our Heav'nly Father, him alone we will obey.

The Lord is on my side. That gives me a powerful sense of peace. I'm not saying that I'm just going to sit here and trust that all will be well. I know there is much to do to prepare for what will come. One of the writers on my blogroll mentioned food storage this morning. I think that is something I can do, and should do. There are other things that I'm trying to do, or wanting to try to do. But I know that I don't have to fear, because I trust in my Lord and God.

Let us all press on in the work of the Lord,
That when life is o'er we may gain a reward;
In the fight for right let us wield a sword,
The mighty sword of truth.

Fear not, though the enemy deride;
Courage, for the Lord is on our side.
We will heed not what the wicked may say,
But the Lord alone we will obey.

I'm not worried, becasue I know who's side I am on, and I know who is there supporting me.

No comments: